ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management
ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management
ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management (ACDM) is in charge for the achievement of five Priority Programme on AADMER Work Programme through three ACDM Working Groups, namely:
- The ACDM Working Group on Prevention and Mitigation;
- The ACDM Working Group on Preparedness, Response and Recovery;
- The ACDM Working Group on Global Leadership.
The three ACDM Working Groups will oversee the implementation of the 5 priority programmes, 15 sub-priorities, 30 outcome sand 117 outputs that were developed to coverstrategic areas that will be pursued under all priority programmes. It comprises of National Disaster Management Offices (NDMOs) from all 10 ASEAN Member States (AMS), whos eheads serve as the National Focal Points.
The ACDM assumes a number of functions, including but not limited to providing leadership and guidance in the implementation of the AADMER Work Programme; strengthening the coordination with relevant ASEAN Sectoral Bodies to complement the implementation of disaster management activities; collaborate with ASEAN Dialogue Partners as well as other agencies, partners and stakeholders. The ACDM is also responsible for developing policies, agreements, declarations and other important guiding documents on disaster management and relief activities in the ASEAN region.
The ACDM shall continue to fulfil its function as the driver in implementing the AADMER and “to formulate and implement programmes, projects and activities to enhance regional cooperation in all aspects of disaster management, including prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery through mutual assistance activities in order to minimise the adverse consequences of disasters on the economic and social development of member countries”. The ACDM will continue to fulfil the following functions:
- To serve as a forum for exchange of views on strategic and emerging issues involving disaster management and relief activities in the ASEAN region;
- To enhance the sharing of resources and information on disaster management;
- To utilise cost-sharing arrangements in funding collaborative activities in disaster management as a strategy for enhancing self-reliance in the implementation of regional activities;
- To strengthen coordination with other relevant ASEAN bodies to complement the implementation of disaster management activities;
- To collaborate with ASEAN’s Dialogue Partners; international and multilateral agencies, NGOs and the private sector in advancing the objectives of ASEAN cooperation in disaster management;
- To promote human resource development in disaster management in accordance with the needs of Member States;
- To promote effective integration of programmes and activities with other relevant ASEAN bodies;
- To promote public education and awareness programmes;
- To promote collaborative disaster research activities;
- To formulate and implement the AAADMER Work Programme that outlines regional strategies, priority areas, and activities on disaster management.
For 2021-2025, the ACDM will develop a comprehensive Resource Mobilisation Strategy to transform the way the AADMER implementation is funded, in line with provisions of the ASEAN Vision 2025 on Disaster Management. The proposed strategy is essential in creating a coordinated approach to tap different funding sources, scale up products and services, sustain the implementation of the AADMER Work Programme 2021-2025, and ensure the effectiveness and continuity of ACDM’s services to the ASEAN region. The resource mobilisation strategy will cover the following provisions:
Strengthen internal funding mechanisms for effective regional response and recovery assistance after disasters
Maximise external funding and technical assistance
AMS NDMOs as champions for successful of the implementation of AADMER Work Programme and the work of ACDM